Deadlines: 31 August, 2017
MANAGER, INFORMATION & TECHNOLOGY (Ref: RUF/JOB/20/6/17)
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) is a consortium of 66 universities in 26 countries in Africa whose mission is to strengthen the capacities of universities to foster innovations responsive to demands of small-holder farmers and value chains through the training of high quality researchers, the output of impact oriented research and the maintenance of collaborative working relations among researchers, farmers, national agricultural research institutions and governments. RUFORUM envisions African universities fully integrated and contributing to national development goals.
RUFORUM’s work contributes directly to the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Program (CAADP) and the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA, 2024) of the African Union that highlight the importance of agriculture and STI as a means of stimulating economic development and eradicating poverty on the continent. They also emphasize the need for and importance of high level capacity, particularly postgraduate level training and research including the escalation of PhD training in Africa to which RUFORUM responds.
RUFORUM is seeking for a well-qualified and motivated candidate to fill the position of Manager, Information & Technology (IT) at its Secretariat based at Makerere University Main Campus, Kampala, Uganda. Candidates from outside Uganda are especially encouraged to apply.
A. Job Identification Information
Job Title: Manager, Information &Technology
Office/ Department/ Unit: Information & Technology
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary
Directly Supervises: Systems & Network Administrator and IT Technical Assistant
B. Job summary
The position of Manager IT is intended to strengthen the strategic role of IT to support RUFORUM’s business functions. This will involve maintaining and/or developing IT enabled systems that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of RUFORUM to deliver on its mandate. RUFORUM has developed the RUFORUM Information Management System (RIMS) database that is gradually transforming the operations and core business processes at the Secretariat. In this regard, the incumbent will ensure RIMS modules are developed to further streamline the business operations of the organisation. RUFORUM has also initiated various processes to improve internal IT management (PABX, financial management software and automation of processes), including strengthening its external presence through the website. The Job also entails supporting member universities to adopt and strengthen their IT capacities, transform business processes and teaching in the universities while exploring IT linkages with the Secretariat. The incumbent will ensure that relevant IT innovations and systems are in place to continuously demonstrate that RUFORUM is at the forefront and cutting edge of knowledge on training and research in agriculture and related sciences in African universities. Further, the Manager will be responsible for establishing an online platform for tracking RUFORUM investments in different African universities and countries, including tracking human capital development and investments in the member universities.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Contribute to further strategic re-organization of the IT Unit in line with the desired move as recommended by the RUFORUM Functional Analysis findings and the RUFORUM’s Board
- Establish and direct the strategic goals, policies, and procedures for the IT unit, IT use and integration in all the RUFORUM programmatic areas and support units.
- Coordinate closely with all units to ensure that IT systems are effectively contributing to improved business functions at RUFORUM.
- Supervise and coordinate the work plans of the Systems Administrator and IT Technical Assistant, and ensure adequate coordinated support is provided.
- Maintain RUFORUM’s IT infrastructure in a fully functional state at all times
- Establishing online platform/s for tracking RUFORUM investment and profiling impact in the different RUFORUM member universities and countries, and human capital development and financial investments in the member universities
- Work with all RUFORUM Section heads to conceptualize the need for continuous improvements of the RIMS to support functions of M&E, Grants, Training and Quality Assurance at the Secretariat
- Responsible for overall quality of records and data in the IT unit and other relevant databases and that these are stored safely and can be retrieved when required
- Establish and maintain links with Member Universities for the purposes of building IT networks and communities of practice
- Assess IT capacity needs of RUFORUM Secretariat and member universities and develop and implement a tailor-made capacity building plan
- Provide strategic leadership and put in place procedures for:
- a) Disaster recovery management and backups
- b) Hardware maintenance
- c) Software installations
- d) Inventory of IT resources
- e) Access & Security: Anti-virus
- In liaison with Human Resource, support the development of formalised training program for secretariat staff with the aim of raising skills, standards and awareness in the use of relevant ICT applications to promote consistency across the organization.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary or Deputy Executive Secretary.
C. Job Requirements
Academic and Professional Qualifications or Training
- a) Preferably a PhD or a minimum of a Master’s Degree with at least 5 years of related work experience, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Systems or equivalent.
- b) Certification as an IT professional (MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCNP, LPIC)
At least five years of experience in a senior IT post in a large organization
- a) Ability to lead teams.
- b) Ability to innovate and be creative.
- c) Ability to manage IT architecture including Agile Software Development Methods, Django, MYSQL and Python Programming and standards.
- d) Analytical thinking.
- e) Ability to manage risks.
- f) Ability to manage IT platform products and protect intellectual property.
- g) Ability to manage Service Level Agreements and processes.
- h) Ability to oversee IT procurement and assets management.
Applicants should quote the reference number of the job and should attach photocopies of necessary academic support documents, including letters from three referees. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interested qualified persons should submit their applications to reach the Executive Secretary, RUFORUM by 5pm on 31 August, 2017. However, the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified.
Application should be addressed to The Executive Secretary, RUFORUM Secretariat, Plot 151 Garden Hill, Makerere University, P.O Box 16811, Wandegeya, Kampala, Uganda. Applications should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
RUFORUM is an equal opportunity employer